MEARS Auction #32, Ends November 26th, 2011, 9:00 CST w/15-Minute Rule
Category:
Search By:
Do you have a similar item for sale? Please contact us at (414)-828-9990 or email troy@mearsonline.com for a free consultation. MEARS Auctions will work with you to determine authenticity, current value, and the marketing strategy which will help you maximize the value of your item.
This lot is closed for bidding. Bidding ended on 11/27/2011
When we unloaded the sixty seven 27" x 16" x 13" blue plastic cartons containing the entirety of the St. Petersburg Times Sports Photo Archive at the MEARS Evaluation & Research Museum we knew that a long road lay ahead in terms of counting and sorting the 125,000 plus photos contained therein.

Offered in this lot are approximately 27,000 of those photos pertaining to all things football. Of those 27,000 photos approximately 40% are laser and wire images with the remaining 60% being Generation 1 photos. The large majority of photos come from the mid to late 1970's into the early 1990's but given the all encompassing nature of this archive there are a considerable number of vintage images from the preceding years dating back to the early days of gridiron action at the collegiate level and in the earliest days of the National Football League. Due to the enormous size of this comprehensive collection shipping will be substantial.

The entire sports contents, baseball, football, other sports, are being sold during this MEARS Auction Only. Meaning, every single photo has either been listed as a single lot, or packaged into one of the three dealer lot offerings. Meaning, we have not held back one single image. If you see it in this auction, you have only one chance to bid!. Once this lot is sold, MEARS has no more images from the St. Petersburg Times archive.

As the player files were simply labeled football on their exterior with no mention of what level these 27,000 photos cover all levels of the game from Pop Warner to High School, College and eventually for some of these gridiron hopefuls the National Football League. At first glance, that may seem like a negative mark against the collection but this is the St. Petersburg Times and the state of Florida has long been the premier hotbed for amateur football talent at both the high school and college level which leads to many photos of future stars while still in college or in some cases (as with the Jerome Brown link below) while still in high school. Players from the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have thicker files due to their proximity to St. Petersburg as do many of the players from nearby colleges and universities such as the University of Miami, University of Florida and Florida State University.

Some of the more notable names present in this lot include Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Bart Starr, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Emmitt Smith, OJ Simpson, Tony Dorsett, Bo Jackson, Marcus Allen, Eric Dickerson, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Art Monk, Michael Irvin, Andre Rison, Andre Tippett, Rickey Jackson, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, Mike Singletary, Lawrence Taylor, Lee Roy Selmon, Bruce Smith, Deacon Jones, Joe Greene, Jerome Brown, Ronnie Lott, Darrell Green, Mel Blount, Rod Woodson, Don Shula, George Halas, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Bill Parcells and Bubba Smith.

If you would like to view a further sample of this all encompassing lot click on any of the player links below for a selection of some of the Generation 1 photos present in this offering.

Archie Griffin, Bart Starr, Bear Bryant, Bubba Smith, Doug Williams, Franco Harris, Fran Tarkenton, George Halas, Jerome Brown, Jerry Kramer, Jim McMahon, Joe Greene, John Matuszak, Lawrence Taylor, Leroy Selmon, O.J. Simpson & Y.A. Tittle.
Bidding
Current Bidding
Minimum Bid: $12,500
Final prices include buyers premium.: $14,688
Number Bids: 1
Auction closed on Sunday, November 27, 2011.
Email A Friend
Ask a Question
Have One To Sell

Auction Notepad

 

You may add/edit a note for this item or view the notepad:  

Submit    Delete     View all notepad items